Monday, June 14, 2010

Marysville, Ohio to Wooster, Ohio

Today was probably one of the most physically challenging days of the entire trip. They had warned us that we would have lots of climbing today. I had no clue how true that statement was.

The weather was kind to us again. Overcast and phenomenally humid, but not really hot. No rain at all, despite the appearance of the sky that I tend to still perceive as threatening.

The ride today was hard all day long, but it was REALLY difficult in the final 20 to 25 miles. Our approach into Wooster was on highway 95, coming in from the southwest. Since the ride was long (97 miles totally) we had two SAG stops instead of only one. The second one was at probably 72 miles out into the ride. I was feeling tired then, but not totally wasted. I had no idea that the really difficult climbing was only then about to begin. That last 20 to 25 miles would have probably been difficult for me even if I had been fresh and well rested. After over 70 miles however, it really was placing me pretty much at my physical limit. I think that I will remember highway 95 for quite a while. The hills on highway 95 put everything that we saw in Missouri to shame. We had long hills with 11 to 12% grade, as well as short (50 yard) hills at 14% grade. Nice!

Oh well! Enough complaining!

Tomorrow we do a short 91 mile ride to Niles, Ohio. That will be our last stop in this state.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Iowa corn is any taller???...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself becoming more and more anxious the closer you get to the east coast. I am enjoying your blog so much I don't know what I will do when you are done with this journey! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete