Thursday, June 3, 2010

Topeka, Kansas to St. Joseph, Missouri



A great ride today, and a new state also!

The ride yesterday was tough on all of us. It was a real confidence destroyer. Today, however, made up for that. Today's ride was 85 miles. The weather and the roads were perfect. I felt really well during the entire trip (except, maybe, at the very end). I felt that I was back to riding fast again. (OK, that is fast for me, not fast for a good cyclist!) Anyway, today's trip was fun and felt great. More confidence again!

We were in Achison, Kansas, as we got on the bridge to cross the Missouri River. That city was a stop on the "Border Raiders" bike trip that Bill and I took in 2007. We really didn't see much of that city today, en route to the bridge. Achison, Kansas, is the birthplace of Amelia Earhart, incidentally.

The bridge over the Missouri River, at least this one, is pretty old and pretty frightening. There is really no shoulder to the road. While you are actually on the bridge you need to ride really fast and get over it quickly. The road surface on the bridge is a semi-covered grating.

Regardless, we all safely made it to St. Joseph, Missouri.

This is the city in which Jesse James was killed, that by a bounty-seeking member of his own gang.

I did have a minor accident today, almost at the end of the ride. For reasons which still escape me, I did crash. At the time, there were only 7 to 8 miles left in the entire ride, and we were well within the city limits of St. Joseph. I was following Chris, at a very relaxed and reasonable speed, into a left turn. I was very alert, relaxed, and comfortable at the time. I was feeling well, so I really don't know what happened. As I was in the left turn however, I lost balance and actually fell to the right. This happened so fast that I did not have time to click out of the pedals.

Pretty embarrassing, but I guess this can happen to even the most experienced cyclists. No explanation..., I just fell. I thought about telling Marsha that I fell because I lost control as I was heroically riding my bike, as protection, in between a pregnant woman with young children, and three rabid and vicious dogs. Sadly, she is not stupid, so she is not about to believe that story. I didn't even try to make something up, as an explanation; she is well aware that I am a klutz. I might as well admit to that.

I now sport limited road rash on the lateral aspects of my right leg and right arm. There is also a right hip hematoma. Oh well. Those things happen!

(No Marsha, I did NOT have syncope. I am just a klutz.)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you escaped serious injury!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're okay. Chrissy and I have found that Missouri can be a rough place!

    ReplyDelete