Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Gallup, New Mexico to Grants, New Mexico




Today was yet another great day!

I cannot believe how fortunate we have been, at least in terms of the weather. We have had clear blue sky all along, but never really hot. I guess that maybe the higher altitudes keeps the temperature from getting too high. I do recognize that this great weather will not last for the entire trip, but I surely am enjoying it for now.

My only complaint remains that of the road quality. For two days now we have had really crappy road surfaces. Today was the worst. Indeed, there was a section of the highway where there was active construction underway. We had to literally walk our bikes in a grassy area, around the heavy equipment, for probably a quarter of a mile or so. Even so, we literally had tar to scrape off of our tires. At the end of the day today, I felt like apologizing to my tires.

Today's ride was for 68 miles. We left Gallup feeling well, our usual charged up and excited state as each day begins. It must be frightening for the local people to see so many brightly clad and heavily caffeinated bicyclists. Everyone is always just eager to get out on the road for the coming day's adventures.

Michel and I both had flat tires right out of the proverbial starting block. My tires were fine when I went to bed last night. This morning however, upon awakening and checking the bike, I found the front tire flat as could be. There was a slow leak in the tube that I finally identified as the culprit. At least this was apparent before I actually hit the road. It only took me one extra cup of coffee to get that changed. Michel's situation was the same, except that it was the rear tire.

One of the riders, Jan, seemed a bit slow this morning. I decided to stay back with her. After all, today was a short mileage day and so there was no rush. This gave me a chance to get to know her better. It really was fun riding with her today. During the latter part of the day, she and I were riding with LaVern and Jane, our only tandem participants. They are really nice people also.

At 3o miles into today's ride we made it to the Continental Divide. The elevation there was 7,275 ft. That was exciting to see. Actually, I must admit that I had thought that it would be more impressive. I had somehow envisioned being high on a majestic mountain ridge, able to look very far in all directions. It ended up being a sign by the side of the road, on US route 66, near a general store/souvenir shop. Whatever.

From that point on, we were mainly on US route 66, heading east, ending up in Grants.

To the left, there was an outrageously impressive view of huge red sandstone mountains, all running in a seemingly endless ridge, that just beyond the railroad tracks. At least based upon what I have seen so far, New Mexico is far more scenic than Arizona (maybe with the exception of the Jerome, Sedona, Flagstaff regions).

Looking to the right side of the road as we were riding however, we saw Interstate 40 and not majestic mountains. At least in this region, I 40 parallels US 66, just to the south. The latter had been a well traveled and fabled highway in the past. With I 40 now, it is striking to see how US 66 is so deserted. Jan and I were frequently riding side-by-side for miles on US 66, with no cars in sight, while watching the typical very heavy high-speed traffic on the Interstate road just to our right. I have no personal history here, of course, so I am certain that I don't really grasp the significances of the changes which the Interstate has brought to this area. For the older people who have lived here a long time however, I can only imagine how they may feel.

Other than terminally chapped lips, I am feeling great. My bike is great, although there may come a time when I will need to replace the tires. We will see. For now I am OK.

Michel and I were casually talking a while ago. As time goes on, we are getting so much more confident. He commented that he is beginning to actually feel that he may be able to successfully complete this full trip! It occurs to me that I am beginning to feel exactly the same way. Boston is a long, long time from now, but I am beginning to get the feeling that I am going to be able to actually do this! I hope so.

Tomorrow we go to Albuquerque. I think that will be 77 miles.

I think I can do this!

3 comments:

  1. Nice pics. You look extremely happy Dr. Harbin. You must be thinking about work! Right? Boston is a long way off, but we know you can do it! If not, there's always those planes I kept referring to before you left! Just kidding. Hope the road conditions improve in the days ahead and you continue to have clear weather. Oh, and by the way... I'm still singing that damn Eagles song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dr.Harbin, of course you can do it!!!!!!! This is so exciting, I have been telling everyone about this CRAZY doctor I work with, hahaha, just kidding, or am I??????? As far as the terminal lips, that sucks, but could be worse. The echo lab is really enjoying your blog so keep the updated coming and stay safe ( : look forward to reading tomorrows post

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look much happier now! :) Were they selling souvenir keychains at the Continental Divide?

    ReplyDelete