Sunday, May 9, 2010

Pacific Ocean to Riverside, California



Finally!

All of the planning is over. All of the talking is over. All of the spinning and weight training is over. All of the endless checking, and re-checking of the bike and the packing list is over. All of the anxiety regarding being an inadequate bicyclist are over.

OK, the last sentence is a lie.

I finally got out on the bike today. It was great. We went first to the Pacific Ocean. Photos galore, as all of us begin to get to know each other. Some did indeed put their rear bike wheels in the salt water. It was so exciting.

Probably we left there at 7:30 AM, finally en route to Boston!

We had a 78 mile ride today. Probably the first half or more involved just getting out of Los Angeles. The ride then was fast, and reasonably level but tediously urban. This was inner city bike riding, with lots of traffic and signal lights. At least it was a Sunday, so the traffic wasn't too terribly bad.

After probably mile 40 or so, it became less urban, at least slightly. In the last 10 to 15 miles, it was downright scenic. Not a lot of climbing today. That's for the rest of this week. (They tell me that Flagstaff, Arizona, is above sea level!)

I felt great today. It was so great to finally get out on the bike. With a smaller group also, we tend to stay closer together. I felt really strong during the first half of the day. I was riding fast and feeling so good. The latter part of the day found me having more problems keeping up. I do need to pace myself better, especially in the next few days to come. (Tuesday will be more than 100 miles of climbing in the desert.)

I made it to the ride's end today by 2:00 PM. My riding shorts, jersy, camelback, and water bottles are all rinsed out and drying. I have called Marsha. She is having a nice Mothers' Day. I showered and put on my multi-use underwear. (OK, that last part may have been TMI.)

All is well. We will see what tomorrow brings.

4 comments:

  1. Great pics! Thanks for sharing. You should try wearing those shorts in Clinic! Or not!! :)Good luck through Arizona. Sounds like the next few days will be long rides. Good luck! We'll be watching for your posts. Stay safe. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Dad! I look forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to following the bike trip! I can't wait to see our beautiful country during all of your hard work! Travel safe! Sherri Burg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew we could count on a colorful blog from Dr. Harbin! Great job and I look forward to following your awesome trip....sounds like you took our advise on the "multiuse underwear"!! Safe Traveling! Janice

    ReplyDelete