Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Indio to Blythe

Today was day three of riding. This was the first "century" ride. Why wouldn't our first 100+ mile day involve the Mojave Desert?

The ride took off this morning from Indio, California. That is technically below sea level. That meant that we had an initial 10 to 15 mile steady climb, right out of the starting blocks. That brought us up to the level of the Mojave Desert, where we spent the rest of today's 101 mile ride. We are now in Blythe, California. Tomorrow we will ride 115 miles, most of which will remain desert.

Things are going great. I had a flat tire at the very end of the day, but that's only to be expected. The bike is working great. I am not the strongest rider in the group, but I am feeling reasonably strong, and increasingly confident.

The desert is striking. There is the typical barren-appearing sandy surface, with scrubby plants. Off in the distance, both to the south and the north of our east-west road, are huge mountains. Distances are difficult to estimate, but probably the mountains are far away. From this distance (whatever this distance is) the mountains appear as a stark and barren region. There may be some vegetation on those mountains, but you surely cannot see it from here. The desert and mountains are beautiful, in a rather austere manner. There is, of course, no shade anywhere.

I had no idea that a single human could drink as much as I did today. I filled my 50-fluid-ounce Camelback with Gatoraide twice. I had it drunk dry twice by the time of the second SAG, that at mile 52. I probably drank at least that much more in the second half of the ride. I know that I was drinking adequately however, as I was never thirsty and I did urinate at least three times on the road. (How's that for a little double entendre?)

It really is fun to be able to hang out with a mixed group of intelligent and sophistocated adults, having open conversations regarding the color and hue of each others urine. I love bike riding!

Tomorrow we cross our first state line, entering into Arizona. After tomorrow's 115 mile ride, the next two days are shorter mileage and steeper climbing.

My riding clothes are washed and dry already. I am ready (I hope) for tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a tough day.

I had told myself that I would not think of work on this trip. I have however found myself thinking of work a little. I hope that Ward is coping with being on call CONSTANTLY. I wish that there was a way for me to let the folks back home know that I am now totally useless. I wouldn't recognize an echocardigram or an angiogram now, if one came up and bit me on the butt. I will be pretty useless, even more than my usual, when I get back to home and return to work. Oh well!

I hope that Andrea is well. I don't know if she had a boy or a girl. Hopefully Andrea and the baby are well. Hopefully Heath is not as stupid and useless as I was.

More tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dan...sounds like a wonderful day yesterday...can't image any more fun than riding 100 mi in the desert on a bike with the most exciting part of the day being the suspense of what color your urine will be next. Hopefully it is clear! Remember, don't touch the cactuses..or is it cacti? Either way, sounds like you are having fun...can't wait to hear what today has in store...maybe more sand if we're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Andrea had a girl, her name is Adeline, not sure of middle name. 6lbs 3oz. Hows your butt holding out, Crystal told me to asssss you that ( ; hahahahaha!!!!!!! Kyla said, keep applying the Gold Bond. I am so happy you are doing well and enjoying yourself! Stay strong and we are REALLY enjoying the blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy and I will be in the desert tomorrow, too! I will look for you.

    ReplyDelete