Sunday, May 30, 2010

Great Bend, Kansas to McPherson, Kansas

Today involved a 63 mile ride. All went well. (My new tires are great.) The weather was merciful for us, as intermittent thunderstorms had been the prediction. We saw threatening skies all along, and not really pleasant winds, but no rain by the time of our arrival at McPherson. I suspect that it will rain later tonight.

Pretty country, but nothing truly remarkable. This is central Kansas. Hence, no photos to adorn today's post.

I haven't yet had the courage to check the weather prediction for tomorrow, but I probably will later. As Michel has pointed out to me, there really isn't much point to checking the weather prediction anyway. The weather tomorrow will be what it will be, and we will ride in it regardless, so why worry? He does have a point.

Michel and I found a WalMart in walking distance of the motel. We went there and I stocked up on more sunscreen. (I do seem to go through that pretty rapidly.) We bought more powdered Gatoraide also.

Even though today's ride was short, I am pretty tired. I will probably go to bed early tonight. Then again, I go to bed early every night, so that is nothing new.

Right now, I am sitting on the floor as I type this, in the guest laundromat here in the Days Inn. There are not enough machines, but at least I am next in line.

Tomorrow we have a ride of similar distance, that to Abilene, Kansas. That will represent the ninth of nine consecutive days of nonstop riding. Pretty cool! We have a scheduled rest day on the next day, Tuesday, June 1, in Abilene. That will be our first full rest day since Santa Fe.

I am ready for a rest day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dr Harbin,
    We stopped in Abilene KS on a trip once. Check out the visitors center. I suspect there will be a lovely older lady happy to tell you all about Abilene. Also, there was a candy factory on the outskirts of town that was fun to visit. Betty/Kat are adorning our cath lab map with your pics! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're getting very close to Missouri! :)

    ReplyDelete