Monday, May 31, 2010

McPherson, Kansas to Abilene, Kansas

Today is Memorial Day!

I am now in Abilene, Kansas! This feels like a big accomplishment, even though today's ride was not particularly long.

Today's ride was only of 62 miles duration, but this was the ninth consecutive day of non-stop riding. I have never previously ridden for nine straight days in a row. (It is no wonder that I have early saddle sores now!) Our last full rest day was way back in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I can hardly remember that far back now. Nine days and 688 miles since Santa Fe, we are now here in Abilene, Kansas. This feels like a huge accomplishment. I am happy to be here, and happier still that I have tomorrow fully off.

Abilene is northeast of McPherson. We left McPherson this morning and we traveled straight east on route 56. The wind was, sadly, straight out of the east today, that actually all day long. This made for a really unpleasant start to the day. The wind was not super strong, but it was directly set against us. It was hard work to even maintain 10 mph. At 22 miles into the trip however, we mercifully turned off of route 56 and we went straight north on route 15. The prevailing east wind became a much more tolerable right crosswind. Still not ideal, but not nearly so bad. After 40 more miles then, we made it here to Abilene.

I was moving along pretty well today initially. At the SAG stop, roughly halfway into the ride, Bill and I noted that Jan was really moving slowly. He and I were in no rush today, and the ride today was short, so we stayed back with her. We kept her company during the latter part of her ride today. It was fun to slow down and talk with her a bit. It is nice to get to know people better. I think that this ride is proving to be more difficult for her than she had anticipated.

There were fields and fields of beautiful farmland, all along the way today. Some corn, but much more wheat. Jan pointed out how the wheat is already changing color, that indicating that it will soon be ready for harvesting. I see that it is indeed changing color, but I would feel that it is awfully early in the season now. I have to admit to total ignorance regarding wheat, however, so she is probably right.

Abilene seems like a nice town, at least from what I saw riding through town. We are on the northern end of town, well far from the downtown area. Interstate 70 passes by, just north of Abilene, and we are staying just north of I-70, just beyond the underpass under I-70.

Abilene is the home of Dwight D. Eisenhower. Probably the best known attraction in town is the Eisenhower museum and home. We rode by there, a few miles ago, as we passed through town going north. It does look impressive. Many of us are planning on visiting there tomorrow. I surely intend to do so.

Looking ahead, we leave Abilene on Wednesday, June 2. On that day we make the long ride, 106 miles, straight east to Topeka, Kansas. (I do hope that the winds are not still from the east two days from now!) We are informed that this will be a difficult ride, with lots of climbing. Regarding the climbing, the net difference in elevation, between Abilene and Topeka, is probably trivial. The entire ride however has lots and lots of ups and downs, all along the way. Oh joy! We are further informed that we will have more of these "roller coaster" hills in northern Missouri. Oh joy, again!

What is very special about the ride on Wednesday to Topeka is that it is the halfway point, in mileage, for our entire trip! That concept really is exciting to consider! It is difficult to believe. I am sometimes actually daring to believe that I really may make it to Boston!

4 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying following your adventure Dr. Harbin. I can't believe you are going to be at the half way mark soon!! It is warm and summer like here, great for putting your feet up with a cold beverage! Stay strong! I am looking forward to more great blogs!!
    Sherri Burg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning - Back from vacation and just catching up on your travels! Can't believe you've reached the half way mark! Unbelievable! Congrats. Continue to write, we are so enjoying your blog. Safe travels! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy "Halfway" Day from the Echo Lab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have caught myself thinking, hmmmmm, this sounds like something I would like to attempt at some point in my life, then I snap out of it!!!!!! hahaha. When you get back, I have a little surprise for you ( : keep on keeping on and Paul A says, do push ups every night so, your upper catches up with your lower, and yes, I just kicked him for you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete