Friday, September 18, 2015

Cette-Eygun, France to Saint Savin, France

This was day number three of the actual riding.  We could not have possibly asked for better weather for our ride.  The was lots of sun and a clear sky, with no significant wind and no rain.  It was cold in the very early morning, starting out, and it got very cold very quickly after mid-afternoon.  (I guess a cold late afternoon goes with being in the mountains.)

With this weather today, the views from the road were spectacular.  I took lots of photos.  The ride down from the peak of col de Marie-Blanque, in particular, afforded unbelievable views.

The ride today was hard.  We did 99.8 km, with total climbing today at 2,775 meters.  Our highest achieved altitude was at 1,709 meters, at the top of col d-Aubisque.  (Maybe that altitude helps explain my fatigue and tachypnea at the time!)  Once again, this ride was pushing me close to my physical and emotional limits.  The grade of these climbs would be otherwise tolerable, but the duration of the climb is just overwhelming for me.  I do honestly feel that I was very responsible in my training, all throughout this past summer, in preparation for this trip.  Even so, I am frustrated with how much of a struggle these long mountain climbs are turning out to be for me.

We started today with col de Marie-Blanque.  That is a category 2 climb.  It is 9.5 km long, with the average grade being 7.5%.   It did have sections at 13%.  That was tough.  Really tough.  The descend from there was beautiful, and honestly not too frightening for me at all, even with my acrophobia.  That was nice.

The second climb was a "hors category" with col d'Aubisque.  That was a 17 km constant climb, getting us ultimately up to an altitude of 1,709 meters.  The grades were effectively the same as for col de Marie-Blanque.  I was wasted, truly wasted, at the top.

Tomorrow we start off with our first climb as the famous (infamous?) col de Tourmalet.  We hit that tomorrow at probably only 20 km into our ride.  This is a 18 km long climb, taking us to an altitude of 2,115 meters.  That will be the highest point of the entire trip.  The guides have advises us to have leg warmers, full fingered gloves, and things like that; it will be cold up there regardless of the weather at the more civilized altitudes.  We later will then climb col d'Aspin and col de Pyresourde, before arriving at our destination at Bagneres de Luchon, France.  Tomorrow's ride will be a 111 km ride totally.

Lots of hard work, but lots of fun.  Wonderful group of people, both the participants and the guides.






2 comments:

  1. Dan, if your training hadn't been sufficient, you wouldn't have been able to write today's journal! Admit it, you are prepared - the ride is just taking all that you have. I consider that success. And I was glad to see your RAGBRAI jersey. Keep on riding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, you are doing great. Just keep turning those legs, km after km after km. You obviously trained well to even be able to do this ride. It sounds extremely tough and beautiful. You are one tough guy and I admire your fortitude. I bet you are not telling any jokes on the way up those hills.

    ReplyDelete