Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saint Savin, France to Bagneres de Luchon, France

Wow!  Today was an unbelievably hard day.  This was a day of 111 km in distance, and 3,308 meters in climb!  Our highest point today was the highest paved pass in the Pyrenees mountains (2,114 m).

We had three major climbs today.  The first was the "hors category" climb of Col de Tormalet.  Then we had two category 2 climbs afterwards, Col d'Aspin and Col de Peyresourde.  The latter two wouldn't have been quite so hard on me, I believe, except that Col de Tormalet had me so wasted already by then.

Today was a wonderful day!  If I could have special ordered the weather, I could not have done a better job.  We had clear and sunny skies only.  There was no perceptible wind, and no hint of rain at all.  The air temp was cool, especially on top of the mountains, but not truly cold.  It really was nice!  It was cool enough that I used my recently purchased leg warmers and full fingered gloves.  That was nice to have with me!

Once again, I felt that I was physically pretty much at my limit today.  At the top of Col de Tourmalet, I was so tired and wasted that I am not so sure my brain was then functioning well.  (Has it ever?)  It was a real ego blow to see how well others were handling the elevations and the climbs. 

A tortoise passed me, walking uphill, near the top of Col de Tormalet.  I felt embarrassed about how slow I was going, and how much I was then struggling. 


I tried to find some solace in the sense that he really was having to work hard to pass me.  At the top of the area however, I could see that the tortoise was elderly, and suffering from advanced arthritis.  My ego has taken huge hits on this trip.  I am clearly not the cyclist that I wish to consider myself.

Tomorrow is a rest day.  We leave on the next day, Monday, September 21, for Spain!




1 comment:

  1. Great photo of you! Glad that you are enjoying beautiful weather on your trip.

    ReplyDelete