Thursday, September 17, 2015

St. Jean Pied-de Port to Cette Eygun

Today was a great ride, but it really was super difficult.  We did 103.6 km, with 3,101 meters of total climb.   I don't think that I have ever experienced a more arduous ride!  The guides are telling us that today's ride was the most difficult of the entire trip.  I only hope and pray that this message is correct.

The first climb was Col de Burdincurucheta, and this really is just the lead in to Col d'Iraty.  Putting them together, this climb was 26 km long, with the average grade at 5%.  (The average was 5%, but there were sections of 13%!)  That was so draining for me.  We have climbs that steep in La Crosse certainly, but the length of this climb was just relentless!  I was utterly drained at the end.  The next climb, Col de Soudet, was 22 km long and similar elevation.  What was demoralizing was that I found even not-so-steep climbs on Col de Soudet were very difficult, probably due to my fatigue from the first climb. 

That said, the views made it all worth it.  This is a phenomenally beautiful part of the planet Earth!  Some of the views were literally breathtaking.  (Or, was I out of breath for some other reason?)

The weather was wonderful initially, with only a few clouds in the sky, comfortable temperature, and minimal wind.  Later this afternoon however, we ended up with a cold mountain rain.  (Ugh!)

The descents were tough for me, that probably due to my acrophobia.  In fairness to me though, most of the people on today's ride also commented upon the frightening descents.  There were generally no guardrails at the side of the road, with very frightening drop offs.  At the end of the day, that was made even more frightening by the wet road surface.

This ride today was probably the hardest thing that I have ever done physically.  Still, this really was great.  My legs are now like jelly.  Poor quality jelly, actually.  Hopefully they will be back with me by tomorrow morning!

Tomorrow we go to Saint Savin.  This will involve two big climbs, Col de Marie-Blanque and Col d'Aubisque.  There is a 99.8 km distance expected tomorrow, with 2, 775 meters of total climb.





2 comments:

  1. Wow. Those are some climbs. I am going to call you Mountain Goat Dan when you are done. I am so proud of my XC riding buddy for accomplishing this feat. Wish I were there with you. Of course, I would still be at the bottom of the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of name is "Cette Eygun"?! You're doing great, Dan. I wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete