Monday, September 14, 2015

St Jean-de-Luz ---- I can't believe that I am actually here!

I really have trouble talking myself into believing that I really am actually here now in St. Jean-de-Luz.  I made the commitment to go on this Pyrenees bicycle trip almost a year ago, and I have been effectively constantly daydreaming about it ever since.  Now I really am on the threshold.  I am now in the little city on the southwestern coast of France that I have been looking at, on Google Maps, for so very long.

So far, things couldn't be going better.  By that statement I mean two separate things.  The first is that all is going every bit as had been planned, without even a hitch or a hiccup.  The second is that this first stop in St. Jean-de-Luz is even neater than I had anticipated.

In local time, it is now 8:30 PM here, this Monday evening.  (It is now 1:30 PM today in La Crosse.)  I must say however, this still feels to me like just one 24+ hour long Sunday.  It's very weird.  From the time Marsha and I left home in La Crosse, at 11:00 AM yesterday, until literally right now, it all just seems like one really, really long day.  In that regard, it is almost a bit frightening how not-tired I am feeling right now.

The flights were both smooth, both the one from Minneapolis to Paris (Charles de Gaulle) and the one from Paris (Orly) to Biarritz.  The flights were on time, the luggage made it, and going through customs was a breeze.  (Maybe the connection at the CDG airport with the bus to take me to Orly was a bit confusing, but all else was easy, quick and slick otherwise.) Landing in Biarritz, I took a taxi the extra 9 miles to St. Jean de Luz.  Getting to this destination town, I was pleased to see that even Expedia had not screwed up; my reservation at the hotel was all in order and waiting for me.

This is a cool little town!  I got here at just before 5 PM, and I have spent the past two hours just walking around.  This is a remarkably hilly little town, with one side on the Atlantic and the other in the western foothills of the Pyrenees.  This is the heart of Basque country.  Typical of Basque apparently, the houses are all small and all painted white, with colored shutters (usually red).  The roof tops are all identical also.  It is so hilly here that I bet that you can't find a distance of even five feet of road or sidewalk that is level.  It really is cool.

I walked the short distance from my hotel to the beach.  The waves tonight are enormous, almost frightening.  There are posted signs all over the beach, indicating that it is temporarily closed due to the dangerous currents and waves.  Just standing there and listening to the roar, it is very impressive.  (I shouldn't say this, but tonight's Atlantic wave show is even putting Lake Superior to shame!)

If you stand at the beach and turn 180 degrees, you are facing the western foothills of the Pyrenees.  To demonstrate that further, the first two of the three photos directly below were taken from literally the same location.  I just turned away from the ocean to take the one of the mountains.

Today is a bit overcast, so these peaks are effectively touching the clouds.  Thinking about the notion of cycling in that area, this view tonight is downright intimidating. 

Downright exciting!

We will see....

I will go to sleep soon, and I will try to sleep in tomorrow morning.  It is just a short 2 km walk from this hotel to Hotel la Reserve, the location where the Trek Travel guides and bikes are to be found.  I am to show up there tomorrow afternoon, anytime in between 3 and 6 PM, to get fitted to the bike that I will be using.  I can't wait!  I will walk over there tomorrow with my pedals, shoe, and saddle.  Hopefully I will meet some of the group participants tomorrow also, not just the Trek Travel guides.  I hope that Michelle has as much fun on her 26th birthday tomorrow as I have here.

The actual ride then will begin in the morning of the next day, Wednesday, September 16.





1 comment:

  1. It goes without saying that I am jealous. Glad the flights went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete