Thursday, September 24, 2015

Olot to Platja d'Aro

This was it!  This was the last day of riding!  This was the trip of a lifetime for me. 

Today we went 119 km, with 1,415 meters of cumulative climbing.  We went from Olot, Spain, to Patja d'Aro, Spain.  This is cool!   I did it!

The total trip totally was officially 817 km long, and it involved literally 14,877 meters of climbing.  I had such a great time.  When I signed up for this, 11 or 12 months ago now, I had great anxiety/uncertainty regarding what would be involved.  I wanted to challenge myself though, so this seemed like a good idea.  It turned out to be great.  It was a very difficult ride for me, but I am so glad that I did it.  I was with riders far more accomplished and experienced than I am, but it all worked out just fine nonetheless.

The weather today could not have been better.  It was a perfect day for a long bike ride.

We had an easy ride earlier today, but then quite a climb to San Grau.  That was near the end of our ride then.  That was a 10.9 km climb, with elevations up to 9.3%.  That took us to the top of a huge cliff, at the edge of the Mediterranean Sea.  (I had to stop and say "Arrrr!  I love the smell of the salt air!!!"  There were no daughters around to annoy then, but I said it anyway!)   I had anticipated that we would have an easy downhill ride, after that, down to our hotel.   I was wrong.  We had a very interesting and difficult ride, up and down, as well as winding left and right, finally getting us down to the sea level.



I am so glad that I did this.  It was great!

1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you. You are amazing. That had to be extremely difficult. I am in Denver with Chris Hall. We had dinner with Jyl on Thursday night. Then rode with Jim Olsson yesterday. Today Sam is coming to town and we will meet him. Then off to Moab on Sunday with Tracy, Jim, and Sam.

    ReplyDelete